Burns Park Elementary School is named after former Ann Arbor Parks Commissioner and University of Michigan botany professor George P. Burns, an enthusiast of city planning who developed many local parks in the early 1900’s.
In 1910, the old fairgrounds located on the property were changed to a park and named in his honor. In 1921, the four acres of land on the western edge of the park were sold to Ann Arbor Public Schools, which began construction of the school began in 1923. The first students were welcomed to the school on February 2, 1925.
The school was originally named after the first president of the University of Michigan, Henry P. Tappan. But when AAPS built a new junior high school on Stadium Boulevard in 1951, the name Tappan went with it, and the elementary school was renamed Burns Park Elementary due to its location adjacent to the park.
Burns Park is home to 420 proud Penguins in grades Young 5’s through fifth. The school’s mission statement is to foster academic achievement in a safe and nurturing environment which develops responsible citizenship, a positive self-image, creativity, sensitivity to others, and multi-cultural awareness.