Nov. 1, 2013
By Tara Cavanaugh
As part of her 90-day entry plan, AAPS Superintendent Dr. Jeanice Swift announced a reorganization of the District’s central leadership team on Friday. (Click here for organization chart PDF)
The new plan, which takes effect Nov. 4, includes no salary increases. The goals of the plan are to streamline the central leadership team into three distinct divisions, reassign duties from positions that have been eliminated since July 1 (see list below) and add leadership strength in the hiring of two Assistant Superintendents (formerly Deputy Superintendent positions) in Finance and Instruction.
The two former deputy superintendent positions that are currently vacant will be posted at a lower salary level of $125,000 to $130,000; previous salary was $140,000. The positions have been vacant since the departure of Alesia Flye of Instruction in October and Robert Allen of Finance and Operations in March. The two positions will be posted in November with interviews scheduled in December. Anticipated start dates are January/February 2014.
David Comsa, J.D., will continue to lead the Human Resources and Employee Relations division, serving as Deputy Superintendent, Chief of Staff and General Counsel.
Three Assistant Superintendents will now be titled Executive Directors: Dawn Linden for Elementary Education, Robyne Thompson for Secondary Education, and Dr. Elaine Brown for Student Intervention and Support Services.
The plan includes a new position: Executive Director of Instructional Technology and Information Services. Merri Lynn Colligan will oversee all technology integration district-wide. Colligan has been the Director of Instructional Technology. “It is important that there’s no separation between instructional and information technology,” said Liz Margolis, the district’s Director of Communications and Community Outreach.
“The restructuring plan will tighten the overall organization into three central divisions, continue to yield savings for the District, and will provide the opportunity to acquire critical talent for the leadership team in the two Assistant Superintendent positions,” said Dr. Swift.
Positions eliminated from the central leadership team since July 1 include:
- Coordinator, Literacy and Social Studies ($88,923.) – these duties were added to the Elementary Coordinator position and, at the secondary level, a part-time assignment was added (.6) Department Chair for Secondary English Language Arts.
- Supervisor, Environmental Services ($80,206.) – these duties were combined into the Executive Director, Physical Properties position.
- Election Coordinator ($10,192.) – these duties were reassigned to Director, Ancillary Services.
- Grants Coordinator ($45,000.) – these duties have been reassigned to existing staff.
- Assistant Director of Human Resources ($80,000.) – Duties assumed by others in the department.
- Restructure of Front Desk Position ($19,413.) – Adjusted from executive secretary to office professional.
- Office Professional, SISS ($42,529.) – Duties assumed by others in the department.
- Finance Office Professional .4 FTE ($16,215.) – Duties assumed by others in the department.
Thank you for hitting the ground running full speed! Sounds like a good plan so far!
Welcome to Ann Arbor!