By Tara Cavanaugh
After three months of writing letters back and forth, Pittsfield fifth graders finally got a chance to meet their pen pals on the University of Michigan women’s rowing team this week.
Jennifer Barcelata’s students put their pen pals to work in the Pittsfield Garden, and Joann Parkus’ students hunkered down with their pals to make thank-you cards for veterans.
“They’re always really thrilled to get their letters,” said Mrs. Parkus, “and they’re always excited when they find out they have something in common with their pen pal.” The exchange was also a way for students to learn the art of letter writing, she added. “Letter-writing an important skill they learn in fifth grade,” she said. “It’s about making sure their audience is interested and can respond to them.”
Related on the AAPS News:
- VIDEO: U-M softball team visits Abbot Elementary pen pals
- University of Michigan women’s basketball team shoots hoops at Logan
- Google Career Day inspires AAPS juniors, seniors
The AAPS News welcomes thoughtful comments,All comments will be screened and moderated.
In order for your comment to be approved:
questions and feedback.
- + You must use your full name
- + You must not use profane or offensive language
- + Your comment must be on topic and relevant to the story