Nine Ann Arbor Public Schools elementaries will have new principals due to retirements and shifts in personnel and two middle schools will get new assistant principals for the 2011-12 school year.
All of the new appointments are internal in the district. The announcements were made this week by Interim Superintendent Robert Allen and individual letters were sent to parents at each school introducing the new administrators.
Elementary principal appointments include:
• Kit Flynn at Ann Arbor Open, who has been the school’s media specialist and also served as an interim principal for part of this school year;
• Roberta Heyward at Bryant Elementary, who moves to the permanent post after serving as interim principal since mid-year;
• Virginia Bell at Burns Park Elementary, who comes from an assistant principalship at Huron High School;
• Kathy Morhous at King Elementary, moving to King from the principal’s job at Burns Park Elementary;
• Kevin Karr at Mitchell Elementary, moving to Mitchell from the principal’s job at King Elementary;
• Charles Davis at Carpenter Elementary, who has been lead teacher at Haisley Elementary and also served as interim principal at Haisley for part of this school year;
• Bill Harris at Eberwhite Elementary, who moves from the assistant director post in Student Intervention and Support Services;
• Kathy Scarnecchia at Haisley Elementary. She has most recently served as administrative liaison for the UM-Mitchell-Scarlett Partnership and, prior to that, was principal at Mitchell;
• Natasha York at Thurston Elementary, who moves from a teaching position at Carpenter Elementary.
At the middle schools, John Reece moves from assistant principal at Pioneer to assistant principal at Forsythe Middle School and Edward Broom returns as assistant principal at Scarlett Middle School. Broom has most recently served as interim principal at Mitchell Elementry and also previously served as interim principal at Scarlett.